Of, resembling, or characteristic of a mother, especially in being caring, protective, and kind: she held both her arms wide in a gesture of motherly love
More example sentences
- Beth is distant and cold to Conrad, unable to show him the type of motherly love he needs and desires.
- His is a tale of jealousy, envy and treachery, but also of motherly love, shrewdness and adventure.
- Anna placed a comforting, motherly hand on her shoulder, making her look up.
- Example sentences
- She nearly always loses her traditionally feminine characteristics in so doing - not those of attractiveness, but rather of kindness, humaneness, motherliness.
- The solemnity of the story is relieved by the humour of the rustic travellers at the Rainbow Inn, and the genial motherliness of Dolly Winthrop, who befriends Silas.
- It isn't their sex that singles them out as oddities; it's their dangerous beliefs tacked on to their wholesome-as-apple-pie motherliness.
Words that rhyme with motherlybrotherly, southerly, unbrotherly
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.