- 1The expression of deep sorrow for someone who has died, typically involving following certain conventions such as wearing black clothes: she’s still in mourning after the death of her husbandMore example sentences
- The university closed for three days as of Friday and flags are flying at half-mast in mourning of the rector's death.
- The best thing anyone in mourning can do is live and hope.
- The view that the whole nation was in mourning was well wide of the mark.
- 1.1Black clothes worn as an expression of grief when someone dies.More example sentences
- Wives wear mourning for the relatives of their husbands precisely as they would for their own, as would husbands for the relatives of their wives.
- Children under fifteen are not expected to wear mourning, nor should any girl under seventeen wear crape.
- Indeed, many people do not put on mourning at all, save for very near relatives.