Definition of mudpuppy in English:
A large aquatic salamander of the eastern US, reaching sexual maturity while retaining an immature body form with feathery external gills.
- Necturus maculosus, family Proteidae. Compare with waterdog
- The Science Center of Connecticut in West Hartford loaned a Bengal tiger, a mud puppy (a type of salamander), a period bird's egg cabinet, again without provenance, and various shells and fossils.
- The families Sirenidae, Necturidae (mud puppy), and Amphiumidae (congo eels) occur only in the southeastern United States.
- In Iowa, what many people call mud puppies are the waterdogs, the larvae of our tiger salamander.
Definition of mudpuppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.