Definition of mudpuppy in English:
A large aquatic salamander of the eastern US, reaching sexual maturity while retaining an immature body form with feathery external gills.
- Necturus maculosus, family Proteidae. Compare with waterdog
- The Science Center of Connecticut in West Hartford loaned a Bengal tiger, a mud puppy (a type of salamander), a period bird's egg cabinet, again without provenance, and various shells and fossils.
- The families Sirenidae, Necturidae (mud puppy), and Amphiumidae (congo eels) occur only in the southeastern United States.
- In Iowa, what many people call mud puppies are the waterdogs, the larvae of our tiger salamander.
Definition of mudpuppy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan