Definition of mudskipper in English:
A goby (fish) with its eyes on raised bumps on top of the head, found in mangrove swamps from East Africa to Australia. It moves around on land with great agility, often basking on mud or mangrove roots.
- Periopthalmodon and related genera, family Gobiidae: several species, including the common and widespread P. schlosseri (or barbarus)
- Before climbing out onto land, mudskippers fill their over-sized gill chambers with water, creating an oxygen tank that allows them to breathe out of water.
- But mudskippers are still fish, and they remain tied to the water - which, because of their knack for burrowing, is never far away.
- He cites the walking catfish, climbing perch, and mudskippers as other examples.
Words that rhyme with mudskippercaliper • Philippa
Definition of mudskipper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.