- (In Turkey and some Arab countries) the head of local government of a town or village.More example sentences
- The difference, they say, stems from a new approach of relying on sheiks and mukhtars - the tribal and local leaders who wield enormous influence among some 75,000 people in hundreds of villages and small towns south of the city of Mosul.
- Not all municipalities and mukhtars found in the competition area may be indicated in the list below.
- The government refused therefore to recognize that these mukhtars had any de jure authority.
from Arabic muḵtār, passive participle of iḵtāra 'choose'.
More definitions of mukhtarDefinition of mukhtar in:
- The British & World English dictionary