1A material (such as decaying leaves, bark, or compost) spread around or over a plant to enrich or insulate the soil.
- Cover with shredded bark mulch, straw, hay or evergreen boughs to protect them over the winter.
- Water regularly during dry spells and spread mulch around plants to keep roots cool and moist.
- To prevent dry soil, spread mulch around plants.
1.1An application of mulch: regular mulches keep down annual weeds
More example sentences
- Weeds are best controlled through regular cultivation and/or through the use of mulches.
- Earthworms often thrive under mulch and in general mulches usually help plants grow better.
- Both organic and inorganic mulches have numerous benefits.
Treat or cover with mulch.
- Mr Thomas said there is a range of things people can do to save water, including mulching the garden and covering swimming pools to reduce evaporation.
- In these zones, spring-flowering bulbs must be mulched during the winter due to the danger of frost damage.
- By mulching, cover cropping, and composting, you can work on the soil all season long.
Mid 17th century: probably from dialect mulch 'soft' used as a noun, from Old English melsc, mylsc.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mulch in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.