Definition of mullein in English:
A herbaceous plant of the figwort family with woolly leaves and tall spikes of yellow flowers, native to Eurasia but now widely and commonly distributed.
- Genus Verbascum, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular the widespread common (or great) mullein (V. thapsus)
- Ilexes and oleanders line the roadside; tall yellow mulleins and apricot hollyhocks spring up in the screes above.
- The yellow flower spikes of a dwarf mullein or verbascum and the delicate white and pink trumpets of a creeping convolvulus defied my attempts at precise identification but were delightful nevertheless.
- I'm a great fan of verbascum or mulleins, to give them their common name, not least because they self-seed prolifically, leaving little room for weeds to flourish and filling the borders florifically.
Definition of mullein in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan