Definition of multimodal in English:
1Characterized by several different modes of activity or occurrence.
- Standard multimode and single mode cables are supported.
- Furthermore, she suggests that rather than attempting to reconcile the differences, we might consider ‘social connectedness to exist in a kind of multimodal continuum’.
- AthosCal, a prototype multimodal calendar application, runs on several platforms including PDAs and desktop computers.
1.1 Statistics (Of a frequency curve or distribution) having several modes or maxima.
- None of the histograms suggest multimodal distributions and tests of normality indicate normal distributions.
- Chromosomes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 seem to have bimodal or multimodal distributions.
- However, synoptic weather codes predicted patterns of migration even in calm winds and we often observed a multimodal distribution of simultaneous tracks at a single site, presumably under similar wind conditions.
1.2 Statistics (Of a property) occurring with multimodal distribution.
- With a large enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear unimodal; with a small enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear bimodal (or even multimodal, having more than two peaks).
- These density estimates will initially be bimodal or multimodal, but will become unimodal once h increases past a certain critical value.
Definition of multimodal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan