Definition of multiplier in English:
1A person or thing that multiplies.
- They suggest that unemployment policies aimed at individuals have important consequences for other workers at home-a multiplier effect of sorts.
- Agriculture and industry benefited each other through backward and forward linkages that created multiplier effects.
1.1A quantity by which a given number (the multiplicand) is to be multiplied.
- Coefficients are the multipliers in front of the independent variables in the equation.
- Lay down the multiplicand in the upper row and the multiplier in the lower, with the product in between.
- Thus to find the product of 75 by 75, multiply the last digit of the multiplicand and the multiplier, which gives 25.
1.2 Economics The factor by which the return deriving from an expenditure exceeds the expenditure itself.
- The notion of an autonomous government or investment spending that does not rely on or affect private sector savings is part of the multiplier's myth.
- He argued that where future income might be reduced or a considerable amount of capital invested, there should be a multiplier of four.
- The concept of the multiplier is based on consumption spending and on incomes that derive from expenditure.
1.3A device for increasing by repetition the intensity of an electric current, force, etc., to a measurable level.
- The frequency of the microwaves is adjusted until the output current of the electron multiplier is maximized, constituting the measurement of the atoms' resonance frequency.
- What other concept promises to be both an economy of force measure and a force multiplier?
- A majority of commercial mass spectrometers utilize an electron multiplier detector, which provides an internally amplified electrical current subsequent to exposure to charged ions.
Definition of multiplier in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.