- Silent.More example sentences
- They kept their engagement and pregnancy mum for months.
- Well the most wonderful thing happened last night, but I have to be mum on the subject, so I can't say a word.
- However, his doctors are still remaining mum on his condition until the complete tests take place later this week.
- • informal Remain silent, especially so as not to reveal a secret: he was keeping mum about a possible move to CanadaMore example sentences
- Think what you may; keeping mum gives me one secret more.
- A good friend can keep mum about your deepest darkest secrets.
- The CIA though has conveniently kept mum as of now.
mum's the word
- • informal (As a request or warning) say nothing; don’t reveal a secret.More example sentences
- Go out and have some fun, but remember, mum's the word!
- But the best thing of all about all the hand-outs in this welfare state is that mum's the word, when it comes to explaining to taxpayers why you need their money.
- The mystery is certainly captivating Washington, while mum's the word at the White House.
late Middle English: imitative of a sound made with closed lips.
verb (mums, mumming, mummed)[no object]
- Act in a traditional masked mime or a mummers' play.More example sentences
- He was the first to draw scholarly attention to the custom of Christmas mumming in Newfoundland and its accompanying traditional drama, as evidenced in the standard work on the subject, Christmas Mumming in Newfoundland.
- It's an old tradition, which, along with wassailing and mumming, we have performed over the years in and around Skipton, and many people, especially those young in heart, enjoy the music and dance in which all are invited to participate.
- The common and consistent point is that they took a selection of historic performance practices - morris dances and sword dances, mumming, and others in England - and declared them to be the survivals of ancient sacrificial rituals.
late Middle English: compare with mum1 and Middle Low German mummen.
- A cultivated chrysanthemum.More example sentences
- Whether you want to compete or simply collect mums, the National Chrysanthemum Society has 43 chapters across the country.
- Saint Mary's Church was decorated with pink and white mums.
- Autumn's butterflies - fritillaries and migrating monarchs - match the burnt-orange mums just beginning to bloom.
late 19th century: abbreviation.