noun (plural mummeries)
- 1.1Ridiculous ceremonial, especially of a religious nature: that’s all it is, mere mummeryMore example sentences
- The United Nations is a dim hive of self-interested parties engaged in endless parliamentary mummery, united by a consensual delusion that all nations are equal.
- The puerility and sloth of the students, the pure nothingness of the curriculum: it's all sham and mummery, gutless as a haiku poem.
- The traditions of the latter three in divine service were largely those that came to American shores: plain people worshipping plainly who would have no truck with papist mummery.
mid 16th century: from Old French momerie, from momer (see mummer).
More definitions of mummeryDefinition of mummery in:
- The British & World English dictionary