(also Munchausen syndrome)
Definition of Munchausen's syndrome in English:
1A mental disorder in which a person repeatedly feigns severe illness so as to obtain hospital treatment.
- The notes would also have shown that he had Munchausen's syndrome - a mental disorder in which the patient tries to obtain hospital treatment for an illness that does not exist.
- People with Munchausen's syndrome often go from doctor to doctor and gain admission into many hospitals.
- Patients with Munchausen's syndrome - named for an 18 th-century German baron known for his outlandish tales - fake illness to gain attention.
1.1 (Munchausen's syndrome by proxy) A mental disorder in which a person seeks attention by inducing or feigning illness in another person, typically a child.
- Furthermore, the social workers said, Anamarie might be a victim of Munchausen's syndrome by proxy - a psychological disorder that causes parents to harm their children in order to draw attention to themselves.
- Factitious disorder by proxy, also known as Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, is characterized by a caregiver (often a mother) fabricating or inducing illness in her charge in order to attract medical attention.
- Among them was the trial of a nurse diagnosed with Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, who received 13 life sentences for killing four children and injuring nine other patients.
Definition of Munchausen's syndrome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.