noun (plural municipalities)
1A city or town that has corporate status and local government.
- In other words, it was hands-off to the province and certainly to the cities, towns and rural municipalities.
- The state should distribute some revenue to municipalities such as Pittsburgh.
- Districts in poor municipalities rely on property tax revenues supplemented by state aid to complete their local budgets.
1.1The governing body of a municipality.
- The provincial government and the municipality would do well to at least give the matter careful thought.
- It must now see to it that neither private sector nor government bodies such as municipalities violate the law.
- At the same time, the disempowerment of councilors and the municipality will have a long-term impact.
Late 18th century: from French municipalité, from municipal (see municipal).
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.