- A white-breasted North American auk (seabird).
More example sentences
- Genus Uria, family Alcidae: two species, the thick-billed (or Brunnich’s) murre (U. lomvia) and the thin-billed (or common) murre (U. aalge)
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
- Penguins, cormorants, murres, and guillemots - all pursuit divers - have, among seabirds, the heaviest eggshells as a percentage of whole-egg weight.
- Many of the nesting birds live in colonies: the northern gannet, the blacklegged kittiwake, the heron, the double-crested shag, the thick-billed murre, the Atlantic puffin, and the razorbill.
late 16th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of murreDefinition of murre in:
- The British & World English dictionary