- In ancient Greek mythology, Muses were goddesses of science and art who inspired creative endeavors.
- The word ‘mnemonic’ comes from Mnemosyne, the Greek goddess of memory, and mother of the nine Muses.
- She alone among the muses inspires scientific endeavours.
- The figure and face of the woman have been the inspirational muse for artists over the centuries.
- Almost 50 years after being immortalised by the poet Philip Larkin in a famous anthology, the muse who inspired him is to speak on his legacy.
- The artist's restless muse and critical intellect enable a confrontation with, and the effort to amend, the society's limiting traditions.
The Muses are generally listed as Calliope (epic poetry), Clio (history), Euterpe (flute playing and lyric poetry), Terpsichore (choral dancing and song), Erato (lyre playing and lyric poetry), Melpomene (tragedy), Thalia (comedy and light verse), Polyhymnia (hymns, and later mime), and Urania (astronomy)
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
- More recently I've found myself in bed at night (always a good place to be at night, if you think about it) musing over what I'd write in my blog, if I were writing it, re the day that's just gone.
- Opportunities do not wait for those who muse and pause for deliberation.
- As I left the office today, I was musing on how much I laughed today.
- ‘Unfortunately,’ Jack mused wryly to himself, ‘much of what they'd " learned " had come from television.’
- As one character muses toward the novel's end: ‘We always felt safe here.’
- ‘Now,’ muses an underground rocker who has begun accepting sponsorships, ‘the only qualm I have is I usually don't like the stuff I get.’
noundated Back to top
- It's not only his pet muse these days, but the very definition of his work.
- In the same way that I turned in my external muse a few weeks ago, it's time for me to stop beating myself up over the way I broke his heart.
- I call it quits for the day, having earned the rituals&em.the long bath, the shave, the afternoon muse.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.