Definition of musicology in English:
The study of music as an academic subject, as distinct from training in performance or composition; scholarly research into music.
- He studied at the Prague Conservatory and at the Academy of Musical Arts, concurrently studying philosophy and musicology at the university.
- Finally, it is an excellent reference and great resource book for research into several other areas of the vast field of music performance, musicology and sociology.
- She will be studying musicology, the history of music, at the prestigious New York university and had to compete against 60 other candidates to gain full funding for the five-year course.
early 20th century: from French musicologie.
- Example sentences
- The musicians, guided by ever more extensive musicological research in the ‘early music’ movement, treat the composer's score as sacrosanct and attempt a high degree of authenticity in its interpretation.
- Frankly, I had not the temperament to take up a musicological career, even as a secondary pursuit.
- He has been delighting audiences for years with works of charm, wit and good-natured humor, products of a lively imagination and strong musicological background paired with a finely honed compositional skill.
- Example sentences
- I am a Spanish composer, musicologist and classical piano performer.
- In the half century since the original publication, more extensive research into early music has been conducted by leading musicologists, extending our understanding of these styles and composers.
- A noted musicologist whose interests include chant, medieval music and Tudor keyboard music, he has written many chamber and choral pieces.
Words that rhyme with musicologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, cosmology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of musicology in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan