A large pike that occurs only in the Great Lakes region. Also called maskinonge or lunge3.
- Esox masquinongy, family Esocidae
More example sentences
- Predatory fish in the ecozone include the lake sturgeon, brook trout, lake trout, northern pike, muskellunge, largemouth bass, sauger, and walleye.
- A tiger muskie is a hybrid between a muskellunge and a northern pike.
- Their close relative, the muskellunge, have scales covering only the upper half of their cheek and gill covers.
late 18th century: from Canadian French maskinongé, from Ojibwa māskinōs̆ē.
Definition of muskellunge in:
- The British & World English dictionary