1A strip of hair left to grow above the upper lip.
- The soldier is played by Basim Hamed, a willowy, 31-year-old sculptor who shaved his shoulder-length hair and grew a mustache for the part.
- She has a pencil-thin moustache on her upper lip.
- An old man wearing glasses that drooped down to his nose with grey hair and a thin grey mustache above his upper lip stood before us with a grin.
1.1 (mustaches) A long mustache.
- If you don't believe me, just check out the mustaches.
- And when you look at historic pictures, guys had mutton chops, mustaches, beards.
- Both sides of the entrance were lined with German guards, uniformed in magenta tunics like their counterparts on the Palatine, but with incongruous yellow mustaches dangling below their chins.
1.2A growth similar to a mustache, or a marking that resembles it, around the mouth of some animals.
- The Clay-colored can be distinguished from the Chipping by a brown, rather than gray, rump, a darker face pattern, and the absence of a moustache.
- The Nurse Shark has a small mouth with what looks like a moustache to help it find food.
- Izzy is described as a green parakeet with an orangey-red ring around his neck, a big, red beak with a black moustache and 28-inch tail feathers.
- Example sentences
- A tall, dark, mustached man stood up and extended a hand toward me.
- A heavily moustached man, upon noticing us, shushes his compadres: ‘Shut up, there are people here!’
- School uniforms would end at high school and schoolteachers would not have to deal with ten-year-old children and moustached young adults within the same institution.
Late 16th century: from French, from Italian mostaccio, from Greek mustax, mustak-.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mustache in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.