1A pungent-tasting yellow or brown paste made from the crushed seeds of certain plants, typically eaten with meat or used as a cooking ingredient.
- Add the mustard, soy sauce, and chopped parsley and simmer for one minute.
- Mix half the olive oil with the mustard, honey and soy sauce, and smear all over the steaks.
- Limit condiments, such as mustard, ketchup, pickles and sauces with salt-filled ingredients.
2The yellow-flowered Eurasian plant of the cabbage family whose seeds are used to make this paste.
- Genera Brassica and Sinapis, family Brassicaceae: several species, in particular black mustard (B. nigra) and white mustard (S. alba).
- So far they have planted lettuce, cabbage, mustard, beetroot and pawpaw trees.
- The only vegetables to avoid are any of the cole crops, such as cabbage, mustard or broccoli.
- Soon he had bought a book, planted annuals and discovered a beautiful spot for growing mustard and cress and radishes.
2.1Used in names of related plants, only some of which are used to produce mustard for the table, e.g., hedge mustard.
- If early spring crops such as oat are planted, blue mustard must be killed before planting with tillage or a contact herbicide.
- Common broadleaf winter annual weeds in winter wheat include blue mustard, tansy mustard, tumble mustard, field pennycress, and shepherd's purse.
- Scout winter wheat fields for winter broadleaf weeds such as field pennycress and tansy mustard.
3A dark yellow color.
- There is plenty of heavy bridal and occasion wear in bright fuchsias and shaded hues of mustard and magenta, aqua and greens and traditional kumkum red.
- Colours like orange, mustard and red, which are in fashion these days, dominate.
- And drunkards must always appear in mustard and purple (though strangely some of the people paying for the pictures are depicted in mustard and purple).
cut the mustard
- see cut.
- Example sentences
- The huge, tender perfectly cooked chop was served on the bone, next to fresh sauerkraut with a mustardy tang.
- Not as mustardy as the French version, but delicious nevertheless.
- It was splendid, served on a bed of crisp endive garnished with pink peppercorns and a hot, sweet mustardy dressing.
Words that rhyme with mustardbustard, custard
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mustard in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.