(also myna or mynah bird)
Definition of mynah in English:
An Asian and Australasian starling that typically has dark plumage, gregarious behavior, and a loud call.
- Family Sturnidae: several genera and species, in particular the hill mynah (Gracula religiosa), which is popular as a pet bird because of its ability to mimic the human voice
- Sparrows, starlings, Indian mynahs and feral pigeons rarely visit Australian gardens, which welcome an array of colourful native birds.
- Soil can be seeded within monoculture grass, or trees can be planted widely apart so that they do not become roosts for mynas and starlings.
- There are even a few rare records of mynas attacking people.
mid 18th century: from Hindi mainā.
Definition of mynah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan