Definition of myopathy in English:
noun (plural myopathies)Medicine
A disease of muscle tissue.
- Neuromuscular diseases are characterized by progressive weakening of skeletal, respiratory, bulbar, and, in the case of myopathies, cardiac muscles.
- The idiopathic inflammatory myopathies are a group of heterogeneous disorders characterised by acquired progressive muscle weakness and inflammatory infiltrates in skeletal muscle tissue.
- Exercise-induced muscle oxidative stress may be involved in the myopathy associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Example sentences
- His pathologic studies encompassed neurogenic and myopathic muscle disease, transverse myelitis, and multiple sclerosis.
- Most patients had a combination of myopathic features, such as weakness, pain, exercise intolerance, or hypotonia.
- The patient presents at birth or during the first year of life with generalized weakness and characteristic myopathic facies with several physical deformities.
Definition of myopathy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan