Definition of myriapod in English:
An arthropod of a group that includes the centipedes, millipedes, and related animals. Myriapods have elongated bodies with numerous leg-bearing segments.
- Classes Chilopoda, Diplopoda, Pauropoda, and Symphyla; formerly placed together in the class Myriapoda
- More problematic are the relationships of the four major groups, hexapods (including insects), crustaceans, myriapods (including centipedes and millipedes), and chelicerates (including spiders).
- Living among these early land plants were a diverse selection of arthropods, including spiders, mites, myriapods and collembolids.
- This implies that water-to-land transition occurred at least three times (hexapods, myriapods, arachnids) during the evolution of the Arthropoda.
adjective(also myriapodous) Back to top
Of or belonging to the myriapods.
- This raises the question of how important absolute position is in determining homologies between structures in homonomously segmented myriapodous arthropods.
- This is the cast of a trackway, most likely made by a large myriapodous arthropod, such as a millipede or arthropleurid.
- Numerous arthropod trackways (as on the right) were identified and described and attributed using computer modelling to the myriapodous eoarthropleurids and kampecarids.
Words that rhyme with myriapodisopod • decapod
Definition of myriapod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.