Definition of myriapod in English:
An arthropod of a group that includes the centipedes, millipedes, and related animals. Myriapods have elongated bodies with numerous leg-bearing segments.
- Classes Chilopoda, Diplopoda, Pauropoda, and Symphyla; formerly placed together in the class Myriapoda
- More problematic are the relationships of the four major groups, hexapods (including insects), crustaceans, myriapods (including centipedes and millipedes), and chelicerates (including spiders).
- Living among these early land plants were a diverse selection of arthropods, including spiders, mites, myriapods and collembolids.
- This implies that water-to-land transition occurred at least three times (hexapods, myriapods, arachnids) during the evolution of the Arthropoda.
adjective(also myriapodous) Back to top
Of or belonging to the myriapods.
- This raises the question of how important absolute position is in determining homologies between structures in homonomously segmented myriapodous arthropods.
- This is the cast of a trackway, most likely made by a large myriapodous arthropod, such as a millipede or arthropleurid.
- Numerous arthropod trackways (as on the right) were identified and described and attributed using computer modelling to the myriapodous eoarthropleurids and kampecarids.
Definition of myriapod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan