Definition of myrtle in English:
1An evergreen shrub that has glossy aromatic foliage and white flowers followed by purple-black oval berries.
- Myrtus communis, family Myrtaceae (the myrtle family). This family also includes several aromatic plants (clove, allspice) and many characteristic Australian plants (eucalyptus trees, bottlebrushes)
- When I moved into my bungalow about 20 years ago, I inherited a shrub which I was given to understand is a myrtle: it is a bushy evergreen with small, dark green, glossy, pointed leaves.
- A heady, often impenetrable mix of shrubs, herbs and wild flowers, such as lavender, myrtle, marjoram and thyme, its elusive scent permeates everything from the wine to the honey.
- Between the ruins grew cypresses and oleanders, hibiscus, myrtle and wild roses.
Words that rhyme with myrtlehurtle, kirtle, turtle
Definition of myrtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.