1Belief that union with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or the spiritual apprehension of knowledge inaccessible to the intellect, may be attained through contemplation and self-surrender.
- For some, mysticism implies that subjective knowledge of the true nature of the universe can, in fact, be obtained.
- This leads us into mysticism as the spiritual quality of staying in pure contemplation in the divine presence.
- Does one then conclude that mysticism and the mystical experience is universal in its experience?
2Belief characterized by self-delusion or dreamy confusion of thought, especially when based on the assumption of occult qualities or mysterious agencies.
- Conversely, Shah's proposals that we should all resign to being Hindus is not only based on mysticism and some New-Age notion of limited Hinduism, it is also impracticable.
- It's easy to get mystical and New Agey about this sort of thing, for there's nothing easier than creating mysticism where there is mystery.
- This is not, his followers point out, woolly mysticism; it's a science, based on superconductor theory and specific mathematical formulae.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of mysticism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.