Definition of Nabataean in English:
1A member of an ancient Arabian people who from 312 bc formed an independent kingdom with its capital at Petra (now in Jordan).
- Petra is the legendary ancient city of the Nabateans, which was rediscovered by a Swiss explorer in 1812.
- Within the gaunt pinnacles, in colours that represent ores and igneous rock, Ancient Egyptians, Semites and Nabataeans have left evidence of passage.
- Petra, in what is now southern Jordan, was the Washington and New York City of the Nabataeans, the capital city and cultural center of a powerful nation built on the spice trade.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Nabataeans or their language.
- A notable achievement of Nabataean technology was their elaborate network for water collection, storage, and distribution in their cities, as well as for agricultural use throughout the kingdom.
- There are few locations in Egypt where evidence of Ancient Egyptian, Semitic and Nabataean culture overlap.
- This ancient Nabatean city is so rich in history that everyday something new is being discovered.
Definition of Nabataean in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.