Definition of nameplate in English:
1A plate or sign, typically made of metal, displaying the name of someone, such as the person working in a building or the builder of a ship.
- There was a brass nameplate with the name Diane Brown on it and a black and white picture of a young woman and a rather handsome young man on what must have been their wedding day.
- York took a moment to note the name on his brass nameplate before standing up.
- She said orders have been issued for Urdu nameplates and route plates which will be seen very soon.
1.1US A brand of a product, especially a maker of automobiles: Honda is busiest among the import nameplates, with three new cars and a sport utility vehicle
More example sentences
- And what sense did it make to declare every nameplate was a brand of its own?
- Still, many observers say the nameplate branding experiment has failed and blame it for some of the company's image problems and declining market share.
- There is no doubt that the Austrian nameplate will give these products a guaranteed entry to the market.
Words that rhyme with nameplatebreastplate • faceplate
Definition of nameplate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan