Definition of naphthalene in English:
A volatile white crystalline compound produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
- The raw materials for today's dyes are mainly aromatic hydrocarbons: benzene, toluene, naphthalene, anthracene, pyrene, and others.
- Common aromatic compounds other than benzene include toluene, naphthalene, and anthracene, all of which are present in coal tar or creosote.
- In one method, naphthalene is oxidized with vanadium pentoxide to give phthalic anhydride.
- Example sentences
- The anhydride of naphthalic acid was identified as a urinary metabolite in rats treated orally with acenaphthene.
- Single crystals of poly (naphthalic anhydride) have been grown using our confined thin film melt polymerization technique.
Pronunciation: /nafˈTHalik/ /nap-/adjective
Words that rhyme with naphthalenegasoline • Rosaleen
Definition of naphthalene in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan