The upper part of the pharynx, connecting with the nasal cavity above the soft palate.
More example sentences
- Mucous membrane involvement is common, primarily of the oral mucosa and conjunctiva, but may also include the nasopharynx, larynx, esophagus, genitalia, and rectal mucosa.
- After pre-operative embolisation, the tumour was resected from the infratemporal and pterygopalatine fossae, sphenoid sinus, nasopharynx, nasal cavity and maxillary antrum.
- The conducting portion of the respiratory system includes the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, larynx, trachea, and bronchi.
- More example sentences
- The rate of temperature change was slower at the bladder site than at the esophageal and nasopharyngeal sites but faster than the rectal site.
- Structures adjacent to the nasopharynx, such as nerves and vessels, facilitate the infiltration of nasopharyngeal cancer through foramina and fissures, from extracranial to intracranial spaces.
- The biopsy specimens from the 2 cases consisted of nasopharyngeal stromal tissue extensively infiltrated by tumor with no discernible continuity with the overlying ciliated mucosal lining.
Pronunciation: /-fəˈrinj(ē)əl, -ˌfarinˈjēəl/adjective
Definition of nasopharynx in:
- The British & World English dictionary