Definition of nasopharynx in English:
The upper part of the pharynx, connecting with the nasal cavity above the soft palate.
- Mucous membrane involvement is common, primarily of the oral mucosa and conjunctiva, but may also include the nasopharynx, larynx, esophagus, genitalia, and rectal mucosa.
- After pre-operative embolisation, the tumour was resected from the infratemporal and pterygopalatine fossae, sphenoid sinus, nasopharynx, nasal cavity and maxillary antrum.
- The conducting portion of the respiratory system includes the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, nasopharynx, larynx, trachea, and bronchi.
- Example sentences
- The rate of temperature change was slower at the bladder site than at the esophageal and nasopharyngeal sites but faster than the rectal site.
- Structures adjacent to the nasopharynx, such as nerves and vessels, facilitate the infiltration of nasopharyngeal cancer through foramina and fissures, from extracranial to intracranial spaces.
- The biopsy specimens from the 2 cases consisted of nasopharyngeal stromal tissue extensively infiltrated by tumor with no discernible continuity with the overlying ciliated mucosal lining.
Pronunciation: /-fəˈrinj(ē)əl, -ˌfarinˈjēəl/adjective
Definition of nasopharynx in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan