1Patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.
- Playing with a sense of loyalty, commitment, nationalism and pride.
- He intends to instill a sense of nationalism and pride in grooming young players for future representation.
- We have failed to instil in our people a sense of nationalism, of pride in belonging here.
patriotism, patriotic sentiment, flag-waving, xenophobia, chauvinism, jingoism
1.1An extreme form of this, especially marked by a feeling of superiority over other countries.
- That undoubtedly is what we may conclude from the rise of extreme right ideologies and nationalisms of all kinds.
- Without intending to diminish the absurdity of such view or their genocidal implications, it must be mentioned that extremist nationalisms tend to flourish together.
- Zionism was influenced by, and has many similarities with, other contemporary European nationalisms.
1.2Advocacy of political independence for a particular country.
- This helps explain the persistence and even strengthening of cultural nationalism after political independence.
- Much has been said about nationalism; independence forces one to confront what it means to be ‘Bermudian’.
- Indonesia now is again run by politicians favoring secular nationalism, with Christians regaining influence.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.