noun (plural nativities)
1The occasion of a person’s birth: the place of my nativity
More example sentences
- He promised that when the war was over he would return and offer his services to free the land of his nativity.
- Thus, once again, a moment of rebirth occurs, a new shining nativity of a new soul, not as a physical entity vulnerable to decomposition, but a living memory to the immortal and indestructible nation.
- He moved to the city three or four years ago - for reasons he won't disclose, but which might relate to his partner's nativity.
1.1 (usually the Nativity) The birth of Jesus Christ.
- What a truly great mystery is the Nativity of our Lord!
- The Qu'ran has also verses on the Annunciation, Visitation, and Nativity.
- Jeremiah wondered how many Brotherhood artists had attended the crucifixion, or sketched pictures of the nativity.
1.2A picture, carving, or model representing Jesus Christ’s birth.
- Mystery still surrounds the theft of a nativity statue set that was stolen from the Catholic church in Horwich on New Year's Day.
- From the advent crown suspended above the nave to the metal nativity figures which are assembled in time for the Crib Service on Christmas Eve, there is always something seasonal to enjoy in the Minster.
- But this year, residents are fuming after drunken pranksters stole the nativity figures.
1.3A nativity play.
- Sammy played a donkey in Turton and Edgworth CE Primary School's 1992 nativity.
- Christmas shopping, decorating the tree, carol singing, the school nativity, wrapping presents, roast turkey followed by Christmas pudding… the list goes on.
- On the scrap heap at thirteen, and after my magnificent Herod in the nativity not two years previous.
1.5 Astrology , dated A horoscope relating to the time of birth; a birth chart.
- Uranus, which was discovered 11 years after his birth, is prominent in his nativity and there is a powerful resonance between his own chart and that set for the discovery.
- This nativity has many indications of great success.
- A solar return occurs when the sun in the birth nativity returns to its original position, on the birthday of the individual in question.
Words that rhyme with nativityactivity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.