1A body of unchanging moral principles regarded as a basis for all human conduct.
- Moral philosophy reposes on natural law precepts as common presuppositions, but its advice will be true only in the main.
- Just War teaching is a derivation of basic moral principles from natural law.
- If history is divided into divine history, natural history, and human history, then law can be divided into natural law, human law, the laws of nations, public law, and civil law.
2An observable law relating to natural phenomena: the natural laws of perspective
More example sentences
- They showed that the basic building blocks of life, amino acids, can be obtained from purely chemical elements by natural laws without intelligent intervention.
- Many scientists believe homeopathy violates natural laws, and thus any effect must be a placebo effect - the power of a patient's beliefs to influence treatment results.
- I still have a strong interest in any phenomena that would violate our known natural laws of physics and redefine our understanding of our universe.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: nat·u·ral law
Definition of natural law in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.