noun(usually natural sciences)
1A branch of science that deals with the physical world, e.g., physics, chemistry, geology, and biology.
- In the natural sciences, biology and geology should be emphasized.
- The first is a scientific encyclopaedia covering logic, natural sciences, psychology, geometry, astronomy, arithmetic and music.
- In addition, all institutions have freshman introductory courses both in natural sciences and social sciences.
1.1The branch of knowledge that deals with the study of the physical world.
- Hence, physical or natural science is the study of material bodies that undergo change and are either in motion or repose.
- He won an open scholarship in mathematics and natural science to study at Trinity College, Cambridge.
- It is characteristic of him that his decision to study natural science and medicine was determined not so much by his reading as by his dreams.
natural scientist noun
- Example sentences
- How does it happen that a properly endowed natural scientist comes to concern himself with epistemology?
- As a natural scientist, you recognize that you cannot assign characteristics at will to chemical and biological entities.
- Recently, a group of social and natural scientists have come together to help coalesce what they envisage as a new, emerging field of ‘sustainability science’.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: nat·u·ral sci·ence
Definition of natural science in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.