- 1A district, especially one forming a community within a town or city: she lived in a wealthy neighborhood of Boston the party disturbed the whole neighborhoodMore example sentences
- As well, family units sit within a neighbourhood and wider community of other families that identify with a common cause, that of a decent life with those we love.
- Books were distributed in communities and neighbourhoods, and to family members and friends.
- Different classes of people have long sorted themselves into neighborhoods within a city or region.
- 1.1Neighborly feeling or conduct: the importance of neighborhood to old peopleMore example sentences
- Social interactions based on neighbourhood have been deteriorating for decades - particularly in highly transitory urban areas.
- Both sets of protagonists are torn between the American Dream of fame and fortune and the more comfortable pull to stay true to your station in life and neighbourhood.
- 1.2The area surrounding a particular place, person, or object: he was reluctant to leave the neighborhood of ButteMore example sentences
- Ottawa has shown it has considered the question about the neighbourhood surrounding Iraq no more than it has given any thought to the question inside Iraq.
- The neighbourhood surrounding the Medical Academy was the biggest surprise as transactions there were few.
- Wait a while and a map of west London will open up showing the precise location of the shot and all the other photos taken in the surrounding neighbourhood.
- 1.3 Mathematics The set of points whose distance from a given point is less than (or less than or equal to) some value.More example sentences
- A few years later in 1914 Hausdorff defined neighbourhoods by four axioms so again there were no metric considerations.
in the neighborhood of
- Approximately; about: the cost would be in the neighborhood of three billionMore example sentences
- Yeah, at this point, obviously, I think that they have had him now for somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 days, roughly.
- The machine should cost in the neighbourhood of $5,000 - $7,000.
- Renting an allocated server would cost in the neighborhood of $200 a month (a considerable step up from the current $5).