noun (plural same or nenes)
- A rare goose native to Hawaii, now breeding chiefly in captivity. Also called Hawaiian goose.
More example sentences
- Branta sandvicensis, family Anatidae
- In the foreground is the nene, or Hawaiian goose.
- Ground-nesting birds such as the endangered nene or Hawaiian goose and Hawaiian dark-rumped petrel (Pterodroma phaeopygia sandwichensis) are particularly vulnerable.
- Despite its similarities to the Canada goose, the nene is a true Hawaiian down to its toes.
early 20th century: from Hawaiian.
More definitions of neneDefinition of nene in:
- The British & World English dictionary