Kidney disease, especially when characterized by edema and the loss of protein from the plasma into the urine due to increased glomerular permeability. Also called nephrotic syndrome.
- It's especially helpful in the diagnosis of nephritis and nephrosis.
- A 49-year-old Japanese man had a history of nephrosis, heavy alcohol consumption, diabetes mellitus, and liver cirrhosis and had been undergoing dialysis for 10 years.
- Nephrosis, a change in nephrons that is not inflammatory; nephrotic syndrome occurs when large amounts of protein are lost from the body through the urine, usually as a result of nephrosis.
- Example sentences
- The nephrotic syndrome and proteinuria in the nephrotic range localize the pathologic process to the glomerulus.
- Once active renal disease is no longer ongoing (that is, burned out), the patient may end up with nephrotic syndrome and a nephrotic urine.
- Five years ago she had a spontaneous abortion in the first trimester, complicated by hypertension and nephrotic proteinuria and was referred to an outpatient unit dedicated to diabetic patients with renal diseases.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of nephrosis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.