Definition of nerite in English:
A chiefly tropical mollusk with a somewhat globe-shaped and brightly marked shell, typically found in water.
- Superfamily Neritacea, class Gastropoda: several genera and species, including the European freshwater snail Theodoxus fluviatilis
- As with the checkered nerite, some members of a population spend more time in the water than others.
- To eat the contents, the nerite has to crush the diatom's hard silicate armour on the ground.
- External colour in tropical nerites is quite variable, and of limited use in identification.
Definition of nerite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan