- A signal transmitted along a nerve fiber. It consists of a wave of electrical depolarization that reverses the potential difference across the nerve cell membranes.More example sentences
- The arrival of the nerve impulse, an electrical signal, at the axon activates the influx of calcium ions through voltage-dependent ion channels in the membrane.
- After an action potential has swept along a single nerve fibre, a second nerve impulse cannot be initiated immediately.
- It is the influx of sodium into the cell that is responsible for generating an action potential, which causes depolarization and conduction of the nerve impulse.
More definitions of nerve impulseDefinition of nerve impulse in:
- The British & World English dictionary