- 1Easily agitated or alarmed; tending to be anxious; highly strung: a sensitive, nervous person these quick, nervous birdsMore example sentences
- In addition his is always jittery, nervous and panicky, always worried, always tense, never able to relax.
- Poppy's nervous, as there's no horror in it, and precious little angst.
- I consider myself to be a strong person and really do feel for those who are of a nervous disposition anyway as this is terrifying enough.
- 1.1Anxious or apprehensive: staying in the house on her own made her nervous I was nervous about my new jobMore example sentences
anxious, worried, apprehensive, on edge, edgy, tense, stressed, agitated, uneasy, restless, worked up, keyed up, overwrought, jumpy; fearful, frightened, scared, shaky, in a cold sweat, gun-shy• informal with butterflies in one's stomach, trepidatious, jittery, twitchy, in a state, uptight, wired, in a flap, het up, strung out, having kittens
- We were pretty stressed and nervous about taking Arthur after the horrible accident of last weekend.
- The days are gone when I am going to get nervous about games or worry about whether or not I play well.
- I was, as ever, tense and nervous about the whole thing but I found it quite interesting and nicely handled.
- 1.2(Of a feeling or reaction) resulting from anxiety or anticipation: nervous energyMore example sentences
- It is an excited nervous feeling though, full of expectation and anticipation.
- The thought of his blind date gives him a rush of anticipatory nervous excitement.
- I commented on this and was told the rashes were a nervous reaction to low-flying jets and explosions.
- 2Relating to or affecting the nerves: a nervous disorderMore example sentences
- One might imagine that nervous tissue consists of nerve cells and very little else.
- Too ill to work and plagued by nervous disorders, these victims have almost given up on life.
- He also said the woman's case history files showed she had been treated for nervous disorders.
- More example sentences
- His nut-brown face was tight and his eyes darted nervously around his office and design studio.
- Over the next hour, perched nervously behind a squat corporate desk, he will barely smile once.
- Maybe build a little wall for yourself with books and music, maybe venture out nervously to the street.