Definition of netherworld in English:
1The underworld of the dead; hell.
- The local Indians, the Chumash, had a legend of something that translates roughly to ‘mouth of hell’ - a place where demons emerge from the netherworld and walk the earth.
- Rachel has moved her son Aiden to a small coastal town in pursuit of the quiet life and television sets that aren't passageways to the netherworld.
- Trapped in a car, I watched in absolute helplessness, (the sort I hope which only exists in nightmares) as this beast of the netherworld repeatedly launched itself at the windshield with great force.
1.1A hidden underworld or ill-defined area: the narcotic netherworld thriving in postwar America
More example sentences
- A few others, finally, have been drawn into the netherworld of off-stage intrigue and parapolitical violence.
- We suspected there was a netherworld of corrupt activity.
- In most instances I think we'd find that a combination of factors led these children to descend into the netherworld of crime.
Words that rhyme with netherworldafterworld
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.