Definition of neuston in English:
Small aquatic organisms inhabiting the surface layer or moving on the surface film of water.
- Catch efficiency of the neuston net was 4.2 times higher than the surface ring net for larvae.
- To obtain such quantitative data it is necessary to measure the quantity of water that has been scanned by the mouth opening of the neuston net into which the marine life has been gathered.
- Repeated sampling was more extensive with bongo / Tucker gear than with neuston gear.
- Example sentences
- This study compares the abundance and mass of neustonic debris with the amount of zooplankton in this area.
- As a rule, there were no significant differences in antibiotic resistance between neustonic and planktonic bacteria.
- S. mucronata is the only cladoceran to exhibit neustonic feeding by hanging upside down.
Definition of neuston in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.