noun (plural neutrinos)
- A neutral subatomic particle with a mass close to zero and half-integral spin, rarely reacting with normal matter. Three kinds of neutrinos are known, associated with the electron, muon, and tau particle.More example sentences
- The leptons consist of the charged electron, muon and tau, together with three electronically neutral particles - the electron neutrino, muon neutrinos and tau neutrinos.
- The proton and the neutron are baryons; the electron, the muon, and the neutrino are leptons; whilst the pions are mesons.
- The electron and muon neutrinos are easier to produce and detect than the tau neutrino.
mid 20th century: from Italian, diminutive of neutro 'neutral'.
More definitions of neutrinoDefinition of neutrino in:
- The British & World English dictionary