The presence of abnormally few neutrophils in the blood, leading to increased susceptibility to infection. It is an undesirable side effect of some cancer treatments.
More example sentences
- Fever and infection, due to neutropenia, are infrequent at presentation, but may occur later in the disease.
- As for safety, most drugs caused the usual signs of cytotoxicity, including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, fever, infections, and gastrointestinal toxicity.
- Prophylactic antibiotics can prevent infections and save lives in patients who develop neutropenia after chemotherapy for cancer, say researchers from Israel.
1930s: from neutral+ Greek, penia 'poverty, lack'.
- More example sentences
- Despite initial pancytopenia and neutropenic sepsis, she has tolerated three cycles of chemotherapy.
- Children who are neutropenic secondary to cancer chemotherapy are usually admitted to the hospital for treatment with broad-spectrum antibiotics when they develop a fever.
- Systemic infection with Candida is a challenging problem in immunocompromised neutropenic patients.
Pronunciation: /ˌn(y)o͞otrəˈpēnik, -ˈpenik/adjective
Definition of neutropenia in:
- The British & World English dictionary