Definition of new wave in English:
1 another term for nouvelle vague.
- In fact, politics is one of the areas where the Toronto new wave and the French New Wave truly diverge.
- Schrader reminds me a little of Claude Chabrol, who occupied a similar position within the French new wave of the 1960s.
- It says something of the times that Coutard, a man who had worked with all the distinguished new wave French directors, said yes.
2A style of rock music popular in the 1970s and 1980s, deriving from punk but generally more pop in sound and less aggressive in performance.
- Their music has a little bit of many great influences, from post-punk to new wave to shoegaze.
- Imagine that Elvis had lived, and that Col Parker got the idea that new wave was what the kids are into these days.
- They asked some young singers who had never heard the songs before to sing on each track, and in the process what we get is a unique way to hear our favourite new wave songs.