1A person or thing that has recently arrived in a place or joined a group.
- There can be legitimate objections, as well as xenophobic ones, to a large number of newcomers arriving in a certain area.
- Their bus was welcomed just like at any other time when newcomers arrived.
- We must say goodbye to our friends and colleagues and prepare for the newcomers arriving soon.
1.1A novice in a particular activity or situation.
- Angie went diving once before in Florida, but John is a newcomer to the activity.
- Imago, a relative newcomer to the league of regional journals, was born at a difficult time.
- Reeve, a relative newcomer to showjumping, broke his neck in the worst place possible.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.