noun (plural Newfies)
- Jokes about Newfies gave way to jokes by Newfies, revealing a sense of humour so sharp that This Hour Has 22 Minutes is recognized as the official opposition.
- Those Newfies really know sophistication, don't they?
- The Newfies say they want to control their own fish.
Coming from or associated with Newfoundland.
- Wayne Johnston took New York by surprise a few years ago when his fictional biography of Newfie premier Joey Smallwood landed on the cover of the New York Times Book Review.
- Another problem: if this play is set in Newfoundland, why isn't there a single Newfie accent to be heard?
- Anyone familiar with French's more famous prequel to this play, Salt-Water Moon, will recognize in Best's performance glimmers of lively young Jacob, the Newfie charmer.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Newfie in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.