Definition of nicotiana in English:
An ornamental plant related to tobacco, with tubular flowers that are particularly fragrant at night. Also called tobacco plant.
- Genus Nicotiana, family Solanaceae: several species, in particular N. alata
- These include the dahlias and impatiens as well as roses, cyclamen, nicotiana, geum and the darkening petals of Sedum spectabile.
- Columbine and nicotiana sprouted everywhere, as did a colony of small buddleia.
- A primula is still making a brave attempt at flowering, and it will soon be replaced with blue and white trailing and bush lobelia, and green and white flowered nicotiana.
from modern Latin nicotiana (herba) 'tobacco (plant)', named after Jean Nicot, a 16th-century French diplomat who introduced tobacco to France in 1560.
Definition of nicotiana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia