- An ornamental plant related to tobacco, with tubular flowers that are particularly fragrant at night. Also called tobacco plant.
More example sentences
- Genus Nicotiana, family Solanaceae: several species, in particular N. alata
- These include the dahlias and impatiens as well as roses, cyclamen, nicotiana, geum and the darkening petals of Sedum spectabile.
- Columbine and nicotiana sprouted everywhere, as did a colony of small buddleia.
- A primula is still making a brave attempt at flowering, and it will soon be replaced with blue and white trailing and bush lobelia, and green and white flowered nicotiana.
from modern Latin nicotiana (herba) 'tobacco (plant)', named after Jean Nicot, a 16th-century French diplomat who introduced tobacco to France in 1560.
More definitions of nicotianaDefinition of nicotiana in:
- The British & World English dictionary