Definition of nightingale in English:
A small European thrush with drab brownish plumage, noted for the rich melodious song of the male, heard especially at night in breeding season.
- Luscinia megarhynchos, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- But diet extends to a selection of birds including warblers and even swallows, wheatears and nightingales.
- In a bit of incredible but completely appropriate timing, the Fisherman sings ‘Oh, God above, how beautiful it is’ as the nightingale's song is heard.
- Reich had the bird breeder's equivalent of a green thumb, and was known among bird hobbyists for training canaries to sing the song of the nightingale.
Words that rhyme with nightingalegalingale • martingale
Definition of nightingale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.