Definition of nightingale in English:
A small European thrush with drab brownish plumage, noted for the rich melodious song of the male, heard especially at night in breeding season.
- Luscinia megarhynchos, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- But diet extends to a selection of birds including warblers and even swallows, wheatears and nightingales.
- In a bit of incredible but completely appropriate timing, the Fisherman sings ‘Oh, God above, how beautiful it is’ as the nightingale's song is heard.
- Reich had the bird breeder's equivalent of a green thumb, and was known among bird hobbyists for training canaries to sing the song of the nightingale.
Definition of nightingale in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan