1The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
- Those who rejected nihilism and stood against evil in the past lead the way.
- Pinker argues that we need not fear nihilism or meaninglessness from the modern human sciences because they show that morality is wired into the human brain.
- And since he asserts that atheism = nihilism and deism = atheism lite, then I must really be a nihilist.
skepticism, negativity, cynicism, pessimism;
disbelief, unbelief, agnosticism, atheism
1.1 Philosophy Extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence.
- Thus, from a Nietzschean perspective, nihilism is the unforeseen consequence of the Kantian critique of metaphysics.
- Existentialism is just another form of nihilism in Nietzsche's sense.
- The dislodging of epistemology from its old status of first philosophy loosed a wave, we saw, of epistemological nihilism.
Early 19th century: from Latin nihil 'nothing' + -ism.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.