Definition of nihilism in English:
1The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
- Those who rejected nihilism and stood against evil in the past lead the way.
- Pinker argues that we need not fear nihilism or meaninglessness from the modern human sciences because they show that morality is wired into the human brain.
- And since he asserts that atheism = nihilism and deism = atheism lite, then I must really be a nihilist.
1.1 Philosophy Extreme skepticism maintaining that nothing in the world has a real existence.
- Thus, from a Nietzschean perspective, nihilism is the unforeseen consequence of the Kantian critique of metaphysics.
- Existentialism is just another form of nihilism in Nietzsche's sense.
- The dislodging of epistemology from its old status of first philosophy loosed a wave, we saw, of epistemological nihilism.
- Example sentences
- Now the odd thing is that Strauss and his East Coast followers are atheists / nihilists imbibed in Nietzsche.
- But concluding that his rejection of these doctrines makes him a cynic, a nihilist or a remote modernist is to be misled by the humanism and Romanticism his work so effectively challenges.
- He was an atheist and a nihilist, and he's more influential than ever.