- A foolish or stupid person.More example sentences
- And, as a reader recently suggested, it would allow movie watchers to gang up on the nincompoops who insist on chatting away on their cell phones during the show - if their cell phones are equipped with recorders.
- The best it can do is take people's minds off it by producing wow-provoking new initiatives and making National look like a bunch of nincompoops.
- Reading such works, I am inclined to throw the egotistical nincompoops out the window - as this is frequently impossible, I content myself with throwing the relevant books across the room.
late 17th century: perhaps from the given name Nicholas or from Nicodemus (by association with the Pharisee of this name, and his naive questioning of Jesus Christ; compare with French nicodème 'simpleton').
More definitions of nincompoopDefinition of nincompoop in:
- The British & World English dictionary