Definition of nisin in English:
An antibiotic substance that is a mixture of related polypeptides and is used in some countries as a food preservative.
- This substance is produced by the bacterium Streptococcus lactis
- Thus the intensity of fluorescence is directly proportional to the amount of nisin in the environment.
- The authors reported that nisin can be sensitizing via i.p. injection but not by oral treatment.
- My results suggest that the inactivation of nisin by the producer organism may not be entirely enzymatic.
1940s: from (Group) N i(nhibitory) s(ubstance) + -in1.
Definition of nisin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan